White Villages of Andalucia Sporting Tour
Fantastic road cycling in the heart of southern Spain, through beautiful white villages with picturesque and dramatic scenery.
Riding on quiet country lanes your week long point-to-point sporting tour takes you on a journey of discovery through the Andalucian countryside by rivers, lakes, cork forests, olive groves, over mountain passes and to many beautiful white villages that are synonymous with Andalucia.
Prices are starting indications, per person, based on two people sharing a twin room, and include standard bike hire. Please make a booking enquiry for a confirmed price based on your chosen dates and exact requirements.
Your point-to-point sporting tour starts in Zahara a traditional white village ‘Pueblo Blanco’ which is topped by the ruins of a Moorish castle. The dramatic landscape surrounding Zahara makes for some great riding with breathtaking views, it seems, at every turn. Zahara is one of the ‘must see’ white villages in this area.
Next you ride onto one of the oldest and most beautiful cities of Spain, Ronda. Situated on an impressive plateau and surrounded by mountains Ronda is famous for its spectacular gorge ‘El Tajo’ the cliffs are spanned by a bridge, a popular place for travellers to admire the breathtaking views.
Finally you end your tour in Alora, a typical ‘Pueblo Blanco’ (White Village) which is topped by the ruins of a magnificent castle. Alora is the perfect setting to end your trip with the Ardales Lakes, the amazing El Chorro Gorge and the El Torcal Natural Park all within easy riding distance.
Amongst the many highlights of the trip are; the El Chorro Gorge, the Lakes at Ardales, El Torcal Natural Park, the beautiful Moorish castle at Zahara and last but by no means least the stunning Gorge, which splits Ronda in two.
We are happy to customise the Sporting Tour itinerary to suit your schedule. If you want a shorter or longer trip, no problem, just ask.
The full eight-day itinerary:
- Arrival – Fly to Malaga Airport. Time to check the bikes over and perhaps a short spin (depending on your flight times) to make sure the bikes are all good to go. Followed by an opportunity to relax and unwind by the pool before the real riding begins.
- Zahara – Zahara is, one of, if not the most picturesque ‘pueblo blanco’ (white village) in this area. It makes a great base to test yourselves in the mountains with numerous awesome climbs which of course are always followed by exhilarating descents.
You return to Zahara for a second night. (45km with 950m ascent, 50km with 1000m ascent, or 75km with 1750m ascent)
- Grazalema – Back on the bikes and a trip through the Sierra de Grazalema to the historic city of Ronda. The cycling is simply stunning, quiet roads, fabulous climbs and exhilarating descents, you pass through several white villages before arriving in Ronda, famous for its spectacular gorge, is steeped in history. Ronda also boasts the oldest and biggest bull ring in Spain. (60km with 1000m ascent, 80km with 1700m ascent, 110km with 2100m ascent)
- Ronda – In total you’ll spend 3 nights in Ronda giving you plenty of opportunity to explore this historic cliff top city, it’s cobbled back streets, numerous tapas bars and excellent restaurants. Must do things in Ronda are a visit to the House of the Moorish Kings from within which you can walk down inside the cliff to the bottom of the gorge. A walk along the Ramparts of Xijara, which the Arabs built to fortify the town; three of the ramparts can still be viewed today. Tour of the Arabic baths and of course the bullring. Todays highlight is a ride down to the Costa del Sol a swim in the Mediterranean before riding back to Ronda. (45km with 985m ascent, 60km with 920m ascent, or 101km with 1650m ascent)
- Cueva de Gatos – Today you’ll explore the Genal valley, passing the Cueva de Gatos the largest subterranean cave system in southern Europe and the Cueva de Piletas with its pre-historic drawings. The terrain is far more rugged and mountainous with plenty of long climbs and fast descents. Alternatively you could take a day out of the saddle for a spot of rest and relaxation. (58km with 1220m ascent or 77km with 1850m ascent)
- Alora – Finally you end your tour with a two night stay in Alora but not before a breathtaking ride through the Sierra de Nieves. Quite simply some of the best riding and breathtaking scenery in Andalucia. (80km with 1700m ascent)
- Ardales Natural Park – The last day of your point-to-point sporting tour takes you through the beautiful Ardales Natural Park, an area that is known as the ‘Spanish lake district’, to the stunning El Chorro Gorge and the lakes at Ardales before riding through the El Torcal Natural Park where you see some of the most breathtaking views in the whole of Andalucia. (40km with 950m ascent, 55km with 1210m ascent, or 95km with 2160m ascent)
- Departure – Time to pack your bags before we collect you for your flights home.
The bike options for our Andalucia tours consist quality, well-maintained road, hybrid and eBikes.
Orbea Avant (aluminium frame & carbon forks) or Orbea Orca (full carbon) road bikes, with a Shimano 105 groupset, compact chainrings and 12/32 cassettes:
Specialised CrossTrail Disc Pro hybrid bikes, with front suspension and 27-speed gears:
Focus MTB eBikes with Rockshox front forks, disc brakes and a Shimano Deore groupset:
The hire bikes are supplied to you with pumps, spare inner tubes, tyre levers, locks and water bottle.