Vulcan Classic Mountain Bike Tour
Ride authentic mountain bike paths, tracks and trails, amid the unique landscape of Lanzarote.
Our Vulcan Tours avoid asphalt as much as possible, for an unforgettable journey through a world of isolation, tradition and beauty – and a true taste of the spirit of the island. The Canary Islands aren’t just about beaches and palm trees …
Prices are starting indications, per person, based on two people sharing a twin room, and include standard bike hire. Please make a booking enquiry for a confirmed price based on your chosen dates and exact requirements.
The Vulcan Classic Tour is a loop from Puerto del Carmen, using mountain bike paths, tracks and trails as much as possible. It can be ridden in a variety of versions, over different numbers of cycling days, within the 7 night/8 day holiday.
Each day’s ride is carefully chosen to provide the perfect balance of challenge and opportunity to enjoy the areas that you will cycle through.
An example 6 day cycling itinerary:
- Puerto del Carmen – Orzola – One shouldn’t be too confident given the lack of elevation gain on this route. The route is demanding. There are a few technical spots which will slow down our speed. We will cross the most populated area of the island, including the capital, Arrecife. We will also travel along solitary and exciting paths and trails. We will cross beautiful villages such as Guatiza, Arrieta or Punta Mujeres and then we’ll have our first contact with lava in the slags of the northern Corona volcano. The beauty and the sights will compensate for the challenges. (approx 64km / 350m climbing)
- La Graciosa – Yes, we understand it’s only 30 kms and little elevation change. A route a pro could do in less than 2 hours. But friends…..you are in the Graciosa, a place which merits at least a day of your lives. It’s a short stage given the limited terrain of the Graciosa Island, but due to its uniqueness and beauty it is an obligatory visit. Perfect days to forget the world, to enjoy your bike, to enjoy the beaches, to do some water sports like kite surfing or diving, etc. or to relish in the flavours of the Canarian gastronomy. It is also good for us to relax a bit before taking on the two most demanding stages of the Vulcan Bike.
(approx 30km /330 m climbing)
- Orzola – Famara – This is the most “alpine” stage of the Vulcan Bike. Today we are going to ride through the highest area of the island. If the highest point of Lanzarote is only 700 meters above sea level, the elevation accumulated on this route is going to triple that number given the ascents and descents we are going to do. It isn’t a long stage, but the constant transition between ascents and descents makes it a difficult day. The challenges we are going to face will be compensated tenfold by the spectacular landscape we are going to be experiencing along the journey.. (50km / 1,400m climbing)
- Famara – Yaiza – On this stage we will see that the name, “Vulcan Bike” is very appropriate. We will cross through various lava areas, one of which is the amazing Timanfaya National Park. If you want to see something similar you will have to go to Hawaii….yourself. Following this lava “hell” we will cross the quaint village called Yaiza which is the end of our cycling journey. (approx 42km / 600m climbing)
- Yaiza – Playa Blanca – Here the original Vulcan Bike route undergoes a directional change as well as a change in distance. It’s longer! One of the reasons is that otherwise the stage would be very short, but the principal reason is to ensure that the cycling travellers ride through one of the truly beautiful areas of Lanzarote. We are speaking about the Golfo and its nearby attractions. The Charco Verde where Pedro Almodóvar was inspired for his film, “Los Abrazos Rotos” and the coast of Los Hervideros are also remarkable. This change from Yaiza until joining once again with the original route is mostly on asphalt. There is, however, one stretch riding on a trail where there are a lot of rocks. Although you will be riding on asphalt, we insist that the beauty of the stage and the lack of traffic make it highly recommendable. (39km / 270m climbing)
- Playa Blanca – Puerto del Carmen -Welcome to the wonderful land of Los Ajaches. Today the stage is short, but the expression “short but intense” could be the name of the route. Don’t be confused by the small number of kilometres. We are going to have to put all of our skills into action to overcome the challenges we are going to encounter on this route.To finish the Vulcan Bike there is no better finale than the most inhospitable and wild terrain of the entire island (with permission of the Timanfaya volcano!) to truly enjoy the best mountain biking has to offer. There are a number of ascents and descents, paths, single track trails and many technical spots. If you aren’t a pro rider, don’t worry, what you can’t do “in the saddle” you can do walking. No one will be watching.The Ajaches are a mountainous ridge at the south of the island which together with the Famara cliff are the oldest areas of Lanzarote. These two areas are several million years old. The highest point just passes 600 meters above sea level; however, we won’t ride above the 200 meter line. Due to erosion, its ancient volcano is hardly visible. Its location parallel to the sea and its millions of years of erosion which have created a number of ravines reaching the sea make it a difficult terrain to ride through. There are no roads and the paths can’t free themselves of the extensive erosion. Being at the south of the island, the aridity is extreme.
The number of ravines and the veritable solitude are going to put our cycling skills to test. Without a doubt this stage is the perfect finale to the Vulcan Bike. (35 km / 700m climbing)
For our Vulcan Bikes Tours you will be provided with a full suspension bike, fitted with reliable Shimano XT components and available in either 27.5″ or 29″ wheel sizes – ideal for a comfortable ride through the incredible landscape of Lanzarote. Electric MTBs are available for a small additional supplement.
A wide range of alternative styles of bike, and bike upgrades, are available. Please contact us if you would like to discuss the options.