Pyrenees to the Mediterranean – Point-to-Point
A “point-to-point” cycling holiday includes cycling the “Carrilet”, the converted railway that runs for 135km from Ripoll in the Pyrenees to Sant Feliu de Guixols on the Mediterranean Sea.
Prices are starting indications, per person, based on two people sharing a twin room. Please make a booking enquiry for a confirmed price based on your chosen dates and exact requirements.
The riding starts in the mountain town of Ripoll (682 metres) and follows the old railway line that connects Ripoll to Sant Joan de les Abadesses (775 metres). This entire section is paved and is an idyllic start to the ride. From Sant Joan de les Abadesses the ride weaves its way through this medieval town before climbing its way up to the Coll de Santigosa at 1,010 metres before descending into Olot. This mountain section of riding is one of the highlights of cycling in Catalonia – truly spectacular.
From Olot to Girona the riding takes place on the converted railway that is known as “The Carrilet”. It is a gentle descent for about 60 km into Girona. The section of the Carrilet between Girona and Sant Feliu de Guixols is approximately 40 km and covers a diverse range of scenery from the undulating farmland around Girona to the Pine and Cork forests of the coastal region. A truly beautiful ride.
The final two days of the cycling holiday are spent exploring the beautiful coastline of the Costa Brava, cycling to the south and to the north from your hotel based on the shores of the Mediterranean Sea. The highlights are visiting the medieval citadel of Tossa de Mar overlooking the sea as well as having lunch in one of the quality seaside restaurants in the iconic Costa Brava bay of Calella de Palafrugell.
- Arrival to Ripoll by train from Barcelona – Explore the Medieval centre of Ripoll, including visiting the 9th century Monastery of Santa Maria de Ripoll.
- Ripoll – You will be met by Creative Catalonia for your detailed Tour Briefing and Bike Setup before cycling to Olot along the ‘Ruta del Ferro’ Carrilet – the converted railway line that now serves as a dedicated cycleway. (approx 40km)
- Olot – Cycle along the “Carrilet” (converted railway line) from the Volcanic zone of Olot in the foothills of the Pyrenees to Girona city. (approx 60km)
- Girona – Continue along the “Carrilet” from the plains of Girona through the Pine forests of the coastal hills to Sant Feliu de Guixols on the Mediterranean Sea. (approx 40km)
- Sant Feliu de Guixols – Explore along the coast south of Sant Feliu de Guixols. A favourite ride is the coastal road between Sant Feliu de Guixols and Tossa de Mar. (approx 50km)
- Sant Feliu de Guixols – Cycle north along the coast to Calella de Palafrugell, one of the jewels of the Costa Brava. Calella de Palafrugell is one of the original Catalan fishing villages that has maintained its charm over the years. (approx 60km)
- Sant Feliu de Guixols – Return coach to either Girona or Barcelona from Sant Feliu de Guixols. Please note that this is not included in the price of the tour.
The new Radon Scart 7.0 is the ideal touring bike for the combination of roads and cycle trails you will encounter. Equipped with the ever-reliable Shimano Deore drivetrain, Shimano disc brakes and a Suntour suspension fork, the Scart has a comfortable riding position and a triple (48/36/26) chainset – perfect for long days enjoying the delights of the region.
There is the option to upgrade to an Electric bike for our Cycle Touring holidays. The bike option is the ever reliable Scott E-SUB Active Unisex.
This unisex electric bike is the classic trekking style and is perfect for leisurely rides. The bike has got many features including an efficient electric motor centrally mounted to maintain a low centre of gravity, ideal for stability and control.
- Bosch E.DRIVE motor
- SR Suntour NEX HLO suspension fork with lockout.
- Hydraulic disc brakes
- Shimano Deore 10 speed
- 28” Wheels with 140 km 400Wh battery drive.