Sardinia – Medieval Towns & Roman Ruins
A Cycle Tour in Sardinia, from Alghero to Oristano (or vice versa) …
Sardinia is not just a beach paradise, but a cyclist’s dream as well. It’s scantily populated with breathtaking views all around! You are free to discover the open roads: less residents equals less cars – roads free from traffic await you!
Prices are starting indications, per person, based on two people sharing a twin room, and do not include bike hire. Please make a booking enquiry for a confirmed price based on your chosen dates and exact requirements.
You will spend a week cycling around the rugged landscape of Sardinia’s west coast (Alghero and Bosa), to medieval villages and Roman towns, such as Santu Lussurgiu, then on down to Oristano, rich in history. You can visit Tharros and Fordongianus, Punic-Roman ruins complex, and there’s the option to add an extra day to visit the unique nuraghe village Su Nuraxi in Barumini – a Unesco World Heritage Site.
The cuisine of this area is a mélange of cultures and traditions. A wide variety of good wines are made in Sardinia, especially sweet wines, and recipes are based either on lamb and wild boar or seafood, cheese and ravioli.
- The Catalan city of Alghero
- Dinner at Gruccione, “Slow Food” associated
- Biking on the coral coast
- Cycling on the Sinis Peninsula, marine reserve area
- Visit at open air museum of Tharros
- San Salvatore village, “Spaghetti Western” movie location
- Tasting culinary art of Sardinia
- Top quality hotels
- Benvenuti to Alghero & to Coral Coast – meet & greet, bike fitting and Orientation, bike-test in the old-town in Alghero. Alghero is a lively and pretty city and a flourishing tourist attraction not only for the summer masses and elite tourism, but also for a new cosmopolitanism. Overnight in Alghero
- Capo Caccia & Argentiera mine area – Round trip from Alghero to Capo Caccia and Palmadula. Pedalling towards north Sardinia, we will encounter terrific beaches and landscapes; we will arrive to the cliff of Capo Caccia where is possible reach the sea by the narrow stairs. Who want, can ride untill Argentiera beach. Dinner in Alghero for discover the algherese specialties. Overnight in Alghero (approx 54km)
- Bosa & Malvasia -Bike ride from Alghero to Bosa: skirt the coast on rolling hills terrain. You depart Alghero biking up on beautiful uplands, viewing unforgettable landscapes. Admire the massive castello Malaspina in Bosa and be sure to taste Malvasia wine. Overnight in Bosa (approx 43km)
- Santu Lussurgiu, medieval hilltown -Bike ride from Bosa to Santu Lussurgiu: pass small villages and the Siete Fuentes water sources, You’ll come across lots of Nuraghe and suggestive landscapes, such as the highplateau right before arriving into Santu Lussurgiu, which has been built at the edge of the massive inactive volcanic mountain called Montiferru. Overnight in Santu Lussurgiu (approx 44km)
- Oristano & Sightseeing – Bike ride from Santu Lussurgiu to Oristano: pass through a lot of Punic and Roman ruins in Fordongianus, or will be enthusiastic of the crystalline water and sandy beaches if you take the longer version! There’s also a particular Statue carved by the wind after many ages: S’Archittu arch. Overnight in Oristano (approx 59km)
- Tharros and the Sinis Peninsula – Loop bike ride from Oristano to the Sinis peninsula via Cabras: flat terrain today, pedalling near the seaside in the Sinis Peninsula: Cabras, Tharros, there are plenty of ponds and lagoons and where, depending on the season, you will be able to see pink flamingos; visit the ruins of the Punic-Roman port city of “Tharros” with a breathtaking view. Overnight in Oristano (approx 50km)
- Arrivederci or ride to Villanovaforru -After breakfast end of the tour, or loop bike ride around to Oristano, if you have enough time before to leave (approx 30km)
For our Sardinia tours, you can choose from high quality Italian road bikes, KTM mountain bikes, hybrids with disk brakes and eBikes with Bosch electronics.
Your bicycle will be prepared for your arrival, taking account of your height, personal requirements and your accessory reservation.
Repair-toolkit, spare tube, mini pump, lock, cycle computer, saddle-bag, pedals and helmet are included. On request, handlebar bags (for touring bikes), rear-bags (for race bikes), Garmin GPS and a range of other equipment can also be provided.
The bikes are equipped with low gear ratios to assist with hill climbing – many come with compact gear setups and also have a large 30/32 size rear cog.
If you have any questions about the bikes, or special requests, please don’t hesitate to ask.