Catalan Medieval Villages – Point-to-Point
The Medieval villages cycling holiday is a perfect way to explore the quieter and less travelled areas of this fascinating region of Catalonia, Spain.
Prices are starting indications, per person, based on two people sharing a twin room. Please make a booking enquiry for a confirmed price based on your chosen dates and exact requirements.
Each day from your accommodation base you will explore the beautiful scenery of the Baix Emporda region of Catalonia, cycling the selected highlights of the well signposted Cycle Network. Additionally, you will cycle a variety of stunning rides that will clearly explain why this area of Europe is renowned as a cyclist’s paradise!
The tour starts in Girona city and winds its way gently through the undulating and ever changing scenery of the Baix Emporda. All of the cycling takes place on quiet country roads that are part of the Baix Emporda Cycle Network. The network has been developed to allow cyclists to fully enjoy the splendours of this area.
The tour follows the cycling network for 5 nights and finishes in the charming medieval village of Monells. Your luggage will be transported for you from hotel to hotel so you can relax and enjoy the cycling to its fullest. The accommodation provided is staying in lovely 2, 3 & 4 star hotels (with optional upgrades upon request), including breakfast with your stay.
Each day’s ride is approximately 40 km and covers terrain that is mostly flat with rolling hills, so you can pace yourself to stop and enjoy the views. Each day, after arriving at your hotel, there are plenty of great cycling options to explore the local areas further. These rides range from 20 to 40 kilometres, so if you have enough energy to ‘see a little more’ then each area is well worth exploring. You will be provided with detailed maps and route plans to help you on your way.
The full eight-day itinerary:
- Arrival in Girona – explore the medieval centre of this beautiful city.
- Sant Feliu de Guixols – Riding the “Carrilet” – the converted railway from Girona to the coast. (approx 40km)
- Sant Feliu de Guixols – The “Coastal Ride” from Sant Feliu to Tossa de Mar is rated as possibly the best ride in the entire region, for its stunning views and mix of climbs and downhills – simply unforgettable! (approx 50km)
- Llafranc – Following the beautiful coastal route through fields and forests of pine and cork trees to Llafranc. (approx 30km)
- Llafranc – Exploring the beautiful bays of Calella de Palafrugell, Llafranc and Tamariu. (approx 30km)
- Monells – Meandering through the charming medieval villages of the Baix Emporda. (approx 40km)
- Monells – Exploring more of the medieval villages following the Baix Emporda cycle network. (approx 40km)
- Departure to Girona – Girona, with the option to cycle up and over the challenging and stunning “Els Angels” monastery route that is one of the favourite rides of many of the pro riders who live in Girona. (approx 30km)
The new Radon Scart 7.0 is the ideal touring bike for the combination of roads and cycle trails you will encounter. Equipped with the ever-reliable Shimano Deore drivetrain, Shimano disc brakes and a Suntour suspension fork, the Scart has a comfortable riding position and a triple (48/36/26) chainset – perfect for long days enjoying the delights of the region.
There is the option to upgrade to an Electric bike for our Cycle Touring holidays. The bike option is the ever reliable Scott E-SUB Active Unisex.
This unisex electric bike is the classic trekking style and is perfect for leisurely rides. The bike has got many features including an efficient electric motor centrally mounted to maintain a low centre of gravity, ideal for stability and control.
- Bosch E.DRIVE motor
- SR Suntour NEX HLO suspension fork with lockout.
- Hydraulic disc brakes
- Shimano Deore 10 speed
- 28” Wheels with 140 km 400Wh battery drive.