Catalan Medieval Villages
The Medieval Villages cycling holiday is a perfect way to explore the quieter and less travelled areas of this fascinating region of Catalonia, Spain.
Prices are starting indications, per person, based on two people sharing a twin room. Please make a booking enquiry for a confirmed price based on your chosen dates and exact requirements.
The tour starts in Girona city and winds its way gently through the undulating and ever changing scenery of the Baix Emporda. The cycling takes place on quiet country roads that make up part of the Baix Emporda Cycle Network. The network has been developed to allow cyclists to fully enjoy the splendours of this area.
The first day of riding is a short warm up ride of about 30km to get accustomed to the bikes and the layout of the cycling routes in and around Girona city. There is an option to extend the ride.
The following day’s ride is one of the classic Girona road rides of 80km. The ride has a great mix of valley and mountain views with two mountain passes before returning to Girona along the same route.
From Girona the next day of riding includes the challenging ‘Els Angels’ mountain pass towards the timeless Medieval Villages of the Baix Emporda region. After cycling through several of the beautiful villages the destination is a stunning hilltop village, with views over the Mediterranean Sea as well as to the Pyrenees mountains.
The following day’s ride is a lovely ‘out and back’ ride through several more of the Medieval villages of the area before stopping for lunch in a charming seaside village.
The tour then follows the well marked Baix Emporda Cycling Network cycling routes to the final destination of the tour, staying in a 4 star hotel located right on the edge of the sparkling blue waters of the Mediterranean Sea.
The last day’s ride is an ‘out and back’ classic coastal ride that was part of the 2009 Tour de France stage from Girona to Barcelona. The views along this stretch of road are simply breathtaking (so too are the hills!).
On your final day you will be transferred to the Sant Feliu de Guixols bus station to catch the direct bus to Barcelona after a fantastic 8 days of exploring the very best of the cycling on offer in this part of Catalonia.
The full eight-day itinerary:
- Arrival in Girona – explore the medieval centre of this beautiful city.
- Girona – Girona warm up ride to get accustomed to the bikes as well as the layout of the cycling routes in and around Girona city (approx 30km)
- Girona – Riding one of the classic Girona road rides that explains why Girona is such a popular base for Road Riders (approx 80km)
- Begur – Cycling up and over the ‘Els Angels’ mountain before riding through the timeless Medieval Villages of the Baix Emporda and staying in a hilltop village. (approx 60km)
- Begur – Exploring more of the Medieval Villages of the Baix Emporda region with lunch in a charming seaside village. (approx 70km)
- Sant Feliu de Guixols – Cycling along the beautiful Costa Brava coast following the Baix Emporda cycle network staying in a lovely seaside town. (approx 30km)
- Sant Feliu de Guixols – Riding the classic coastal ‘out and back’ route that was part of the 2009 Tour de France stage from Girona to Barcelona (approx 55km)
- Departure to Barcelona – Departure by direct bus from the Sant Feliu de Guixols bus station to Barcelona.
The new Radon Scart 7.0 is the ideal touring bike for the combination of roads and cycle trails you will encounter. Equipped with the ever-reliable Shimano Deore drivetrain, Shimano disc brakes and a Suntour suspension fork, the Scart has a comfortable riding position and a triple (48/36/26) chainset – perfect for long days enjoying the delights of the region.
There is the option to upgrade to an Electric bike for our Cycle Touring holidays. The bike option is the ever reliable Scott E-SUB Active Unisex.
This unisex electric bike is the classic trekking style and is perfect for leisurely rides. The bike has got many features including an efficient electric motor centrally mounted to maintain a low centre of gravity, ideal for stability and control.
- Bosch E.DRIVE motor
- SR Suntour NEX HLO suspension fork with lockout.
- Hydraulic disc brakes
- Shimano Deore 10 speed
- 28” Wheels with 140 km 400Wh battery drive.