Basque Country to Asturias
A cycle tour that follows the beautiful coastline of Northern Spain, from Bilbao in the Basque Country to Ribadesella in Asturias. Bilbao and the Guggenheim Museum, wonderful and unspoilt beaches, pretty villages, all in the same tour.
Arrival date any Saturday from April to October. Personalised tours are available for groups of 4 or more riders.
Prices are starting indications, per person, based on two people sharing a double room, and include trekking bike hire. Please make a booking enquiry for a confirmed price based on your chosen dates and exact requirements.
The full eight-day itinerary:
- Arrival in Bilbao – Arrive at Bilbao hotel by own means. Spend the rest of the day exploring the Old Quarter, enjoy some of the best tapas in Spain.
- Castro Urdiales – We exit Bilbao by following the River Nervión to the mouth of the river, passing the Guggenheim Museum as we do so. In Getxo we can see the magnificent 19th century villas built by the rich Basque industrialists, before visiting the one-time fishing villlage of Algorta. We cross the river using the unique Puente Vizcaya, a transporter bridge which dates back to 1893, and is a World Heritage Site. We then follow the coastline to the fishing port of Castro Urdiales with its pretty harbour and gothic church on the seafront. (approx 40km)
- Santoña – From Castro Urdiales, we head west along the magnificent coastline. We shortly reach Sonabia with the impressive cliffs home to a colony of majestic griffon vultures which we should see soaring above us as we ride. We then reach the fishing port of Laredo and head out along its enormous beach towards Santoña and the backdrop of the Monte Buciero. A short ferry crossing takes us across the river estuary. Santoña is famous for its anchovies, a local delicacy. From here it is only a short ride to our hotel on the beach of Berria. (approx 35km)
- Santander – From Santoña our route takes us westwards, parallel to the coast, with beautiful green scenery, beaches, cliffs. Finally we reach Somo with its beaches and surfers. A short ride takes us to Pedreña, with its world famous golf course where Severiano Ballesteros was raised and learned to play golf. From here we take a boat across the Bay of Santander, to reach the elegant capital of Cantabria. (approx 46km)
- Santillana del Mar – We leave Santander along the waterfront, taking in the magnificent views across the Bay, the Magdalena Palace and Beach, and the beautiful beaches of El Sardinero. From here we head west again past the unspoilt beaches of Liencres, with views down the coast and to the Picos de Europa mountains. Here we are following the pilgrims trail of El Camino de Santiago. A fine bike path takes us down the River Besaya towards the sea and the village of Suances. From here it is ohly a short ride to the beautiful medieval village of Santillana del Mar. (approx 54km)
- San Vicente de la Barquera – From Santillana we continue westwards to the village of Novales, with its lemon groves. More beach and coastal scenery takes us to Comillas, with its many Modernist buildings, the most famous of which is El Capricho, built by the Catalán architect Antoni Gaudí. Our journey takes us through the Natural Park of Oyambre, with its beautiful beaches and coastline towards tonight’s resting place in the seaside fishing village of San Vicente de la Barquera. (approx 36km)
- Llanes – Leaving San Vicente the route heads westwards along the coast. After a short distance, cycle around the beautiful headland of Pechón with its magnificent views of the coastline. Crossing the River Deva in Unquera we enter the province of Asturias. The village of Colombres is home to the sumptuous villas of the indianos, emigrants to the Americas who made their fortune and then returned. From here, the route continues between the coast and the dramatic mountain backdrop of the Sierra de Cuera, foothills of the Picos de Europa. A beautiful descent through eucalyptus forests brings us back to the coast, where we cycle past beautiful and unspoilt beaches to arrive at the charming fishing village of Llanes. (approx 47km)
- Ribadesella – Cycle westwards and visit a string of fine beaches, including the incredible landlocked beach of Gulpiyuri. We continue, with the magnificent coastline to our right, and the beautiful mountains of the Sierra de Cuera and the Picos de Europa to our left. Finally we reach Ribadesella. Here we can spend time enjoying this pretty Asturian fishing village with its beach and lively atmosphere. (approx 44km)
You are provided with hybrid-type tourist bicycles from Trek with conventional handlebars and with triple chain ring and easy-to-change gear ratios for comfortable and easy cycling. Road bikes may also be available on request. We can also provide tandems, which make for great cycling fun, and are also ideal for those with children.
All cycles are equipped with pump, spare inner tube, water bottle, bike lock and basic toolkit. Extras such as lights or toe clips are available on request.
Hybrid bikes will carry a handlebar bag. They are also equipped with a rear luggage rack and one or two panniers, or a rear rack bag to carry just what you need for each day’s cycling. Road bikes carry a seat post bag if required.